We are coming up on our 8th Annual WCSC Parade of Lights for the benefit of Toys for Tots and for collecting canned goods for a local food pantry/bank! The parade will take place on Friday night, December 2nd and again on Saturday night December 3rd. Are you going to Light ‘em Up?
- First and foremost, this annual event is for the benefit of Toys for Tots and collecting canned goods for a local food pantry/bank! This year Toys for Tots celebrates their 75th anniversary. Please bring your toys and can goods to the WCSC clubhouse anytime between Wednesday, November 16th and Wednesday, December 7th. The toys must be new and unwrapped. There will be tables and collection boxes setup in the WCSC clubhouse lobby.
- Next we need to know if you're planning on decorating your boat and participating in the parade, even if it's for only one of the 2 nights! Skippers please register by clicking: Register Friday Dec 2nd and/or Register Saturday Dec 3rd. If you're new to the whole parade thing, the Elves will be glad to assist, just let me or Ron Sanga know ASAP!
- FYI, we have checked with the Galley/Nami restaurant at Portman Marina and while the restaurant is open, they do not have the availability to handle our group on Friday night. Therefore as we did last year, we will be ordering pizzas to be available after the parade for the group as we warm up by the fire. The Friday night gathering will be BYOB. There will be a signup sheet in the WCSC lobby area on Friday night to sign up for the pizza order so we can get enough for everyone.
- We need several volunteers to man the Toys for Tots gift collection and can goods collection over at Green Pond Landing on both Friday and Saturday nights.(Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need someone to step up each night to take pictures and/or videos for sharing later! (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need a couple of volunteers each night to drive the Whaler which will be designated as a Safety Boat/Photography Boat accompanying us around the parade route. (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help for either or both nights)
- We need for someone to keep the fire going in the clubhouse while we are out on the parade route on Friday night and to place the group pizza order as we are returning to the harbor. (Please let Ronnie Ashmore know if you can help with this task)
- The WCSC Christmas party/gathering will be on Saturday night for which details can be found elsewhere on the website.
On Friday evening, we plan to have a Skipper's meeting outside on the clubhouse deck at 1745. If you can't make it, email or call/text (864-420-4782) Ronnie Ashmore for the details that will be covered.
Each evening we will depart the docks in time to be outside of the breakwater ready to begin by 1830. They are expecting us to go by the Green Pond Landing and Event Center by 7'ish, so please be on-time for the departure.
The current planned parade route will begin from in front of the sailing club entrance up to and by Green Pond Landing making a big loop to go back by Green Pond Landing for a second pass and then proceed up to the eastern end of the double bridges turning and heading west toward Portman Marina. We will probably go through the marina and out the west side then back to the WCSC.
Participants are asked to have a VHF radio with them if they have one, as well as their cell phones in case there is any problem along the way. When you confirm that you are participating, please give me your cell phone. We will be monitoring VHF Channel 69.
This year we're hoping to again have company from several members of the Power Squadron and boats from over at Portman Marina, Hartwell Marina, and Big Water Marina! I believe we had over 20 power boats from Dock 6 at Portman Marina last year. We will be doing the Best Decorated Boat Contest again the year in the both the Sailboat and Powerboat categories with trophies for the top 3 in each category.
Remember to mention the light parade to any of your friends or family members who are boaters! Maybe they can join us.
Finally, FYI and viewing are some of the links to last year's parade:
Pictures taken by Keith Schrecengost can be found: Parade 2021
Anderson Independent Mail pictures can be found: Photos from the 7th WCSC Parade of Lights on Lake Hartwell
Anderson County video taken by WYFF 4 can be found: Western Carolina Sailing Club's Parade of Lights
Video of the WOW boat by members Erik and Emily Stielow: https://youtu.be/N2llsmJJkkU
Winners of the best lighted boats: 2021 Best Lighted Boats
Ronnie Ashmore (firstname.lastname@example.org) 864-420-4782
Ron Sanga (email@example.com) 864-313-8255
2022 Parade of Lights Co-coordinators